X-Box One!

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Jem and the Holograms

The first item I'll review is my personal fave. Jem and the Holograms! Pretty much all the kids had watched this at one point or another back in the 80's and it's easy to see why. For the girls, it had fashion and romance, for the boys there was action and explosions, and for everyone there was rock stars and music! Speaking as a boy, there were tons of us who bought the dolls that went with the show. I still have all my Misfits and Rio from back when I was like 3!



Watching this series from the beginning, I was surprised not only at some of the mature themes each episode had (teen runaways, high school drug addicts, kidnapping, bomb threats) but also one song in particular had the words "Is he making love to a fantasy" (in the song "Who is he Kissing"). I don't think they could get away with that these days!

Still, the songs were really good quality. If you heard them in the background, you'd think they were originally on the radio, and not on a cartoon series. The show also had quality voice actors such as Samantha Newark, Britta Philips, Gordon Grody, Patricia Alice Albrecht (she has the same last name as some of my mom's grandparents. Wonder if we're related?), Vicki Sue Robinson, Kath Soucie (she's recognizable as the twins Lil and Phil and their mom Betty on Rugrats, and Linka on Captain Planet and the Planeteers) and Susan Blu, who has also done a lot of voice work..

The only complaint I can think of, at least on my copy of the DVD set would be the sound quality on the title song, which sometimes slows down and doesn't match the picture. Other than that, everything else on each episode is perfect! $45.00 is a great deal compared to what I paid. I pre-ordered, so I paid almost $70.00, but that investment was well worth the price with all the extras the DVD includes, such as interviews with the creator and the stars as well as all the original Jem commercials that had been aired back when the show was on, which believe me, was totally weird watching again because I remember all the styles!

No comments:

Post a Comment